Total Pageviews

Tuesday 13 March 2012

My three wheeled walker and how it's freed me......


So I got a walker on Sunday; three wheeled and with a little seat that slides down one side, but which, can be pulled up and over the frame so I can sit down if I start to get too much pain.

But boy can I shift with that thing; no more snails overtaking me on the inside lane, no more pensioners tutting that I’m in their way, no more wheelies on the back of my wheelchair and no more being steered everywhere but where I want to go by control freak family.  Admittedly I will now lose my one dog powered engine, but to regain my personal freedom I can suck it up.

Okay....so maybe I’m getting a bit ahead of myself; I may not be able to leave the wheelchair behind permanently yet, but I’m certainly going to give it my best shot.  A swift shuffle that gets me where I want to go has got to better than a wheeled prison of other's ideas of where I should be, including my dog's, any time right?

I don’t think anyone realises, until they’ve spent some time in one, just how soul destroying a wheelchair is; I know I didn't.  Being pushed around, even with the self propelled ones, by people who have no intention of taking you where you want to go or letting you loose on your own, to have people making nasty comments to you and just being rude.....it’s all a bit much for me sometimes; I’m not too proud to admit that I have had a little cry every now and again.

So, that’s why I’m giving this walker my best foot forward – or at least the one that doesn’t hurt the most – and trying to get more mobile. It’s red metal with black carry all on the front and black leatherette seat.  It was free from a gentleman who advertised it on E-Bay on the understanding that we gave a donation to a cancer charity – which we did; we chose Cancer Research.  We couldn’t afford much, but we gave all that we could.  I thought it was a lovely gesture by him on many fronts - he was a very nice man.

I’m going to jazz it up and make it my own – I’ve got some weird really funny skull stickers too (yes, in my world skulls can be funny.)  I’m also going to make my own funny sticker with sayings like these - “I have a gun and a shovel, and I doubt you'd be missed”,There are certain things that I can do with fertiliser, water and epoxy glue and, sooner or later, you've got to sleep”, Into every life a little rain must fall, but I think someone's mistaken me for Noah” and, my current favourite - “It takes 42 muscles to frown and only four to extend my middle finger and tell you to bite me.”  These amuse me immensely and I think they'd look great.

They’re from the internet and teach me one thing......I am but a beginner in the world of sarcasm; but I'm definitely willing to learn.

This is Simi, thanks for reading.......

1 comment:

  1. “It takes 42 muscles to frown and only four to extend my middle finger and tell you to bite me.”
    "I have a gun and a shovel, and I doubt you'd be missed”
    Oh my, these would sell like hotcakes at a fat farm, lol.
    The 'Wheelchair Cru', I think ya got somethin' here ^^ in the words of JustCMe, 'Priceless'

    ReplyDelete